/* Amor vincit omnia: Do nice guys finish last? */

Friday, September 16, 2005

Do nice guys finish last?

Nice guys do not finish last. They don't finish at all.

Every single one of my female friends tell me that nice guys definitely do not finish last. Xiu0 once told me that when girls want to settle down into a long term relationship, they would pick the nicer guys to be with. Well, if that's the case, why does everyone treat nice people like suckers?Anna, a friend at FOY desk, asked me during the Georgia Tech game why I had picked up the shift from some other guy. I just shrugged, and she told me that I was being "too nice." Can there even be such a thing as being too nice?

Why do people equate being nice with suffering? Being nice brings it's own rewards. Have you ever helped a child who was lost? Did you ever ask yourself "Is he worth it?" or "Why do I have to be nice to this child?" Chances are that you had helped him without a thought, and after the fact, you felt good about yourself. I guess somehow, in this materialistic world, we have forgotten that happiness does not lie with getting the benefit in every situation. However, since everyone else measures happiness with profits, I guess nice people do look like fools.

I am not a very nice person. I'm only nice to people I like. Someone who recently commented on my post realized the truth the hard way. The more I like them, the nicer I am to them. On the flip side, the less I like someone, the more nasty I am to them. I try to keep the nasty side to myself, due to my abhorrence of conflict. So, usually, I wouldn't be nasty to anyone even though I don't really like them. Some people push me over that edge though. Blood matters too, but not as much as how much I like them. For instance, I treat my best friends better than my siblings, but no matter what they do, I still love them. I definitely treated Michelle much better than everyone else in the world, which brings me to the point of this entire post. How would you know if someone is worth being nice to? What makes anyone "worth it" anyway? If you do something, then it must be worth it. This is the underlying foundation of marketing, and I think it's one of the underlying truths in life. No matter how bad something seems to you or to others, if you do it, it must be worth it.

So, Kristy, she's worth it. Despite what it seems to you, I don't suffer when I do what I do. In fact, the contrary is true. Being nice to her makes me happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home